This Father’s Day why not get something special for yourself and your father? Just imagine: You and your daddy strolling through Tiato Santa Monica at the 2nd Annual Father’s Day Collabrewtive Brunch by Food GPS and Firestone Walker, bonding over brews — both the beer and coffee kinds. And this year’s event is even larger than last with eight brewer-roaster pairings plus one beer available from each brewery’s core line-up. So 16 beers total! “The beer, coffee and food line-up is truly epic, and we can’t wait to share the collective flavor with people on June 14,” said co-organizer Joshua Lurie of Food GPS.
Good news is that you can look forward to a coffee-infused horchata beer, coffee chip porter and a bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout blended with cold process coffee. Bad news is that they’re all one-offs that were all created just for the Collabrewtive brunch so enjoy while you can. Here’s a peek of some of this year’s special coffee-beer offerings.
- The Bruery + Tierra Mia Coffee “Rice & Beans” is a beer inspired by coffee infused horchata. Notes of sweet rice, vanilla and cinnamon play with the bite of earthy, hand roasted coffee for a balanced, modern take on the Central American classic.****
- El Segundo Brewing Co. + LAMILL Coffee Bourbon and Bliss: bourbon barrel aged Standard Crude American Imperial Stout blended with cold process Bliss Espresso blend. About 6 parts to 1. Around an 8 percent beer, the characteristics of both blend together seamlessly. We will be putting the final blend together just the week before as to preserve as much of the coffee aromatics as possible. This is also our first barrel aged release, so we are super excited!”********
- **Golden Road Brewing + Handsome Coffee Roasters **Golden Road on Surfliner IPA: “Inspired by the locally roasted coffee beans from our friends at Handsome Coffee Roasters, this special edition of our Surfliner IPA features San Adolfo beans known for their tart notes of blackberry and deep cherry with a touch of vanilla. Brewmaster Jesse Houck adds whole roasted coffee beans in the dry-hop to lightly infuse this hop-forward ale with light hibiscus-like aromatics and citrusy zing. The result is a complex yet balanced amalgamation of hops and coffee with a light malt backbone anchored by the stone-fruit and piney notes of Simcoe hops.”
- **Ladyface Ale Companie + Caffe Luxxe **Redheaded Blue-Belly (10.7 percent ABV): “Sought-after for its singular rarity, the Redheaded Blue-Belly fills the landscapes of Los Angeles with its deep, rich call. The full-bodied characteristics of the Ladyface Blue-Belly Barleywine and Caffe Luxxe’s Testa Rossa espresso marry perfectly to create a well-balanced brew, allowing the toffee malt character of the beer and the woody, dark chocolate characteristics of the coffee to sing out. Each libation’s flavor potential is maximized separately, the Testa Rossa extracted using the unique cold-brewing process before blending with the Blue-Belly in sweet sylvan harmony.”
- Smog City Brewing + Groundwork Coffee Chip Shot Coffee Porter (6 percent ABV) “We took our award winning Coffee Porter that has over 5 pounds per barrel of freshly roasted organic coffee and added orange peel, vanilla beans, and cinnamon sticks to create a decadent drink that reminds us of orange liqueur spiked chocolate truffles. Imagine drinking a chocolate orange.”
And it wouldn’t be a Collabrewtive brunch without food provided by some of the top restaurants in L.A. Vegetarians, make sure to grab up Mud Hen Tavern‘s truffled brioche breakfast sandwiches, Guerilla Tacos‘ root veggie hash fried quail egg taco and Sotto‘s baked ricotta. Meat eaters, Loteria Grill has a taco with pork three ways and Plan Check boasts a “Mancake Plate” with silver dollar beer pancakes topped with bacon, maple glazed smoked pork sausage and a sunny fried quail egg. For dessert, there are goodies from Huckleberry and Creme Caramel LA.
Tickets to the Collabrewtive brunch are all-inclusive and are $65 for general admission and $90 for VIP (early admission and guaranteed seating which is key). A portion of the proceeds will go to Food Forward, a North Hollywood-based charity whose mission is to rescue and donate fresh local produce that would otherwise go to waste.
Collabrewtive Brunch Giveaway
And now the best part: I’m giving away two general admission tickets to coffee-beer paradise for you and your dad…or you and your bff, or significant other (value $130)! All you have to do is one of the following for a chance to win them (no limit to how many times you enter):
- Leave a comment below simply giving your dad a shout-out for Father’s Day. Make sure you enter your email address in the comment form (not the actual comment box) so I can contact you if you win!
- Tweet: “I wanna take my dad to @FoodGPS @FirestoneWalker’s #Collabrewtive brunch, @carolineoncrack! https://wp.me/pNkdL-7ST”
I’ll randomly pick a winner for the Collabrewtive brunch on Monday the 9th at noon and contact you via Twitter or email so keep an eye out on your Twitter feed/email inbox. If you don’t respond by 1pm then I’ll have to move on to the next person on the list so be on the look out. Good luck!
EVENT: SATURDAY, JUNE 14 from 11:30am to 3:30pm
2700 Colorado Avenue
Santa Monica, California 90404 (map)