If you’re like me, big time procrastinator, you still have no idea what you’re going to do tonight. If you really don’t want to stay in with your Ben & Jerry’s or whatever your comfort food is, here are some places you can just show up tonight, single or not, and have a fun Valentine’s Day/Singles Awareness Day.
These last minute Valentine ideas are of course ranked in order of effort from “just rolling in as is” to “requiring some planning” like showering and dressing up.
Beer Flight: In Silver Lake Mohawk Bend has a Valentine-themed beer flight. For $11 get tastes of Devotion Belgian Pale Ale from Lost Abbey, Rosebud Old Ale from Rubicon, My Bloody Valentine from Alesmith and Horny Devil Belgian Strong Ale from Alesmith.
Live Music: Neat in Glendale has got some chill V Day fun for you with a kissing booth and “regrettable tattoos.” Sip on $10 Leblon Brazilian Storms while listening to a live band. Proceeds from the night will go to breast cancer research.
**Wine Tasting: **Colorado Wine Company in Eagle Rock is hosting a Valentine’s Flight/Food Truck Friday with The Grilled Cheese Truck. No reservations needed! For $15 you get a flight of five wines and a cheese plate. Tonight’s roster includes: Grandin Brut NV, Burgundy, France; Monacesca Verdicchio, Alto Adige, Italy; Milou Rouge, Burgundy, France; Fin Del Mundo Malbec, Argentina; and a third red that’s TBD. Cheese with delicious wines, how romantic/comforting is that?
Dancing: Are you a single lady? Show up at Three Clubs in Hollywood for some drinking and dancing. There will be a special menu for the ladies and a DJ to keep you moving. Of course dudes are welcome, with a $5 cover.
Insta-Date: Order up your Valentine on your smartphone via SideCar. The ride sharing app recruited 30 eligible bachelors for this Valentine weekend. So each ride is like a mini date, they say. Just request a Sidecar, check the driver’s profile to make sure they are part of #SidecarSingles and select your date. Tonight they’re available from 8pm to 12am. If you’re going to the Spare Room tonight, single or not, just show them your SideCar receipt and get the special Valentine cocktail for $10 (regularly $14).
Beer Dinner: For craft beer lovers, the** Beachwood BBQs in Seal Beach and Long Beach** have beer-paired V Day dinners at 5pm, again no ressies required but first come first serve! For $55 ($45 food only) you’ll enjoy four courses expertly paired with brews which will be announced at the dinner. But here’s what’s for dinner.
Beachwood BBQ & Brewing, Seal Beach
- Course One: Chanterelle Soup with Roasted Chanterelles and Arugula Yogurt
- _Course Two: _Squash Salad with Totsai Lettuce, Shallots, Radish, Butternut Squash, Toasted Squash Seeds, Cheese, and Hazelnut Vinaigrette
- Course Three: Tagliatelle with Shrimp, Clams, Tomato Nage, and Rainbow Cherry Tomatoes
- Course Four: Blue Cheese Strawberry Shortcake with Balsamic Gastrique
Beachwood BBQ & Brewing, Long Beach
- Appetizer: Char Grilled Oysters with Garlic Herb Butter, Romano Cheese, and Bread Crumbs
- Soup or Salad: Smoked Tomato Gazpacho or Mixed Berry Baby Greens Salad with Candied Pecans, Blue Cheese, and a Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Entree with two sides included: Pan Seared Diver Scallops with Citrus Horseradish Butter Sauce or Smoked Prime Rib
- Dessert: Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake
Prom: For this year’s prom, Big Bar in Los Feliz is doing up a Carnival Cabaret theme starting at 7pm. No reservations or tickets required but to really be part of the fun, dress up! Here’s a peek at the special drink menu.
- Sword Swallower: Beefeater 24, lime, cucumber, Eve’s rose petals, champagne
- The Bearded Lady: coconutty Absolut Elyx, pineapple, lime
- Mable Stark – Lady Lion Tamer: Jameson Black Barrel, Becherovka, apple lemonade, everlasting effervescence
- Three Ring Twerkus: Olmeca Altos tequila, ancho chili, pomegranate, lime