If you missed last night’s Food & Wine/Food GPS Best New Chefs dinner at hot, new Marina Del Rey restaurant Paiche, not to worry. There’s another one tonight. And where cocktail geeks went crazy over last night‘s crafty cocktails by mixmasters Steve Livigni and Pablo Moix (La Descarga, Pour Vous), tonight they’ll be thrilled by the liquid stylings of Marcos Tello (The Varnish) and Aidan Demarest (Neat).
Marcos and Aidan, L.A. cocktail kings since their days together opening up Cedd Moses’ Seven Grand back in 2007, are not only credited for their stellar bar programs around town like Pasadena’s 1886 Bar, Hollywood Roosevelt’s Spare Room and Tom Bergin’s Tavern, but helped unify L.A.’s cocktail community by co-founding The Sporting Life, a group for our city’s bartenders and cocktail enthusiasts. Oh yeah, they are serious about their love of craft cocktails, and their cocktail style is booze-forward and classic-inspired. (You can’t stump Marcos on cocktail history.)
Tonight their menu ($10 a cocktail) will be available alongside the six courses by guest chefs and Food & Wine “Best New Chef” awardees Jamie Bissonnette (2009 FW awardee and 2013 James Beard award finalist, Coppa and TORO) and Viet Pham (2011 FW awardee and co-founder of Forage) and Paiche’s chef Ricardo Zarate. The dinner itself is $62 (not including tax and tip).
Here are the menus:
- First course (Jamie Bissonnette): Oysters Escabeche — Pickled Island Creek Oysters with Cava rooibos tea, grains of paradise and citrus__
- Second course (Viet Pham): Scallop pickled with juniper + seaweed, lardo__
- Third course (Ricardo Zarate): Pacu rib anticucho, lime miso, zapallo purée__
- Fourth course (Jamie Bissonnette): Manatelle con Pulpo — Squid in pasta with braised octopus, Castelvetrano olives and bottarga__
- Fifth course (Viet Pham): Ribeye cooked on embers and its juices. Crisp kale and an aged cheese emulsion__
- Sixth course (Ricardo Zarate): Puff pastry bomba, camote mousse, chancaca sauce
- Hummingbird Down: Damrak Gin, Honey, Lemon, Green Chartreuse
- Holland Razor Blade: Bols Genever, Lemon, Sugar, Cayenne
- Cottonmouth Punch: Rhum Clement, Galliano Authentico, Guava, Lime, Apple
- White Russian: Vodka, Galliano Ristretto, Cream
Hope to see you there! I’ll be the drunk vegetarian sitting at the bar. Heh.