Now I’m not a “WOOOOOOOOO!” girl, nor do I attend events or venues where that is the utterance of choice. Yet on Saturday night I found myself in a theater full of women who were doing exactly that. And it was an absolute blast! Channing Tatum was bumping and grinding and doing some acrobatic B-Boy dance moves while the audience, consisting of gaggles of girl friends, was going apeshit during the 21+ screening at the Arclight Hollywood. Woooo! indeed.
For the first time I didn’t mind a rowdy crowd so much and actually enjoyed watching men strip! Wuut? The one and only time I went to a male strip club was during a bachelorette party in 2002. And I left in the middle of the show, not understanding the appeal. That’s why Magic Mike at this booze-friendly screening is the way to go. It’s for the introverted who just want to see a fun movie and for those who just want to have a good time. Need more reasons why it’s better than going to an actual male strip club?
- No two-drink minimum! The bar’s spirit and beer selection at the theater does leave a lot to be desired, but I’m assuming the same can be said at strip clubs. No specialty cocktails, just straightforward mixed drinks for straight drinking. But at least there isn’t a two-drink minimum and they’re not too expensive. A plastic cup of Knob Creek on the rocks and a vodka with pineapple juice ran $18 total. Wish they at least offered fun themed cocktails for the movies. How about a Banana Hammock cocktail, huh?
- You’ll never run out of ones. Not only do you get to enjoy these blood-pumping, eye-popping dance numbers, of which there are thankfully many, on a huuuge screen but you don’t have to worry about running out of dollars for the performers.
- Cheaper than going to a male strip club. With the movie ticket ranging in price from $12.75 to $16 and drinks about $9 each, it’s cheaper than paying the entrance fee (which is about $15-$20) and two drinks at a club. Sure, you won’t get an actual lap dance but, I don’t know about you, I was OK with that.
- Seating guaranteed. Some strip clubs have two price tiers of general admission with no seating guaranteed and reserve seating. At the ArcLight not only do you get a seat, you get to pick where you sit!
- Straight men will have a good time, too. Yes, straight guys, you’re missing out if you are letting a little, OK a LOT of male flesh stand in the way of your enjoying a well-done movie and a theater full of riled-up ladies. If you’re still shy, let me remind you that the theater is dark and no one can see you actually enjoying the dance numbers. And should you go, might I suggest that you dress up as a fireman or doctor? Trust me on this.
21+ screenings at most ArcLight locations usually take place Thursday through Sunday, but are scheduled every evening at the Sherman Oaks ArcLight.