Springtime is nearly here and you know what that means: new spring cocktail menus! Damian Windsor of the Roger Room sent me his brand-new list and it looks soo yummy! He plays with Chinese black tea, star anise, crushed strawberries and Aperol orange liqueur.
For his new seasonal menu, Damian said he was inspired to keep it clean, fresh and simple. Staying away from complicated recipes with too many ingredients. “There are far too many bars trying to use too many ingredients in drinks these days. Base spirits, two bitters, two liqueurs, citrus egg whites and fresh fruits have a place but not in every drink.” And this also means quicker turnaround at the bar! Always a good thing.
- Demolition Derby: Buffalo Trace bourbon, Aperol orange liqueur, Barenjager honey liqueur
- Fresa: Avion Blanco Tequila, crushed strawberry, lemon juice, agave nectar, allspice dram
- Ginger Rabbit: Basil Hayden’s bourbon, Creme Yvette, ginger, star anise, Chinese black tea
- Jamaican Bird: Plantation Rum, Galliano, Cointreau, lemon juice
- Night and Day: Sagatiba Cachaca Velha, crushed blackberries, lime juice, honey
I have my eye on that Ginger Rabbit cocktail which Damian made for the Basil Hayden Cocktail Club. “They asked me for a recipe and sent a sample. It took a long time to get the recipe right. Basil Hayden is so light it got lost easily with everything I tried,” he said. With Crème Yvette, ginger, star anise and Chinese black tea, sounds very flavorful. Curious how the bourbon will stand up to that. There’s only one way to find out.
The Night and Day cocktail, a Caipirinha-bramble hybrid, is back on the list, too, since it’s so popular. And Fresa is a drink inspired by one that appeared on Marleigh Riggins Miller’s Sloshed! site. Damian had made it for Malo’s cocktail menu back in the day.
The springtime menu is available now.
The Roger Room_
_ _370 N La Cienega Boulevard_
_West Hollywood, California 90048 (map)_
_Hours: 6pm-2am daily_