Los Angeles may be over those lame below-75-degree temperatures but Drago Centro downtown has just debuted its new winter cocktail menu created by Drago Centro’s beverage director Michael Shearin and head bartender Jaymee Mandeville. It features some hits like the comforting hot buttered rummy January Jones and some misses like the mouthwash-green Watcher in the Woods. But cheers to the use of diverse and unique ingredients like blood orange “caviar,” pear puree, Clear Creek Douglas Fir Eau de Vie and Limoncello candy garnish.
Here?s the cocktail menu with some tasting notes scribbled during the media preview:
- Violette Femme: Real Blanco Tequila, Luxardo Maraschino, creme de violette, Ventura Limoncello, Yuzu. Looks punk rock with purple rim and hot pink of flower. Very floral flavor. A punk rock girl drink.
- Puro Sangue: Karlsson’s Vodka, Solerno blood orange, honey, blood orange “caviar.” Orange-y, s’OK.
- Watcher in the Woods: Death’s Door Gin, Clear Creek Douglas Fir, Nocello, lavender, mint bitters. Limoncello candy garnish. Beautiful-looking cocktail, pretty green, kind of like mouthwash. Not crazy about this one, subtle but not a great flavor.
- Morning Courage: Bols Genever, serrano tincture, celery bitters, beet, lemon, Hawaiian red salt. Very vegetable-y, but not in an appealing way.
- Smoke on the Horizon: Zaya Rum, Drambuie, Carpano Antica, atomized Sombra Mezcal, mole bitters. Looks like a Manhattan, very bitter.
- January Jones: Appleton VX Rum, demerara syrup, cinnamon tincture, butter, clove, star anise, hot water. Flavorful, spicy hot buttered rum. An instant favorite.
- Cusco?s Crown: Campo de Encanto pisco, housemade pear puree, Angostura bitters, lemon. Citrusy in finish, pear flavor very subtle.
- Unbridled: Laird’s Applejack, Chartreuse Verte, mint, lime.
The cocktails are $12 each.