You may not know this about me but I can hold a grudge. Especially when it involves kicking me off my favorite bar stool in L.A. However, since I love the bartenders who came together to open up a certain downtown whiskey bar back in 2007, I have to tell you about their special drink night coming up Monday, September 13. That’s right, **the original crew of Schmeven Schmand is reuniting for one night, Red Rover Throwback.
All your old faves will be there — Aidan Demarest, Marcos Tello, John Coltharp, Dave Whitton and Damian Windsor. I credit Damian with introducing me to the fascinating world of mixology. And sure, you can still find Damian at the Roger Room, Dave at Villains Tavern and Aidan and Marcos creating bar programs all over the place, but when are they ever all together behind one bar?
Yes, it’s bigger than a Growing Pains reunion that includes Leonardo DiCaprio. OK, maybe not that huge, but the night’s cocktail list is in fact pretty extensive. They’re not offering only four or five drinks but 18!
The world?s most compatible things: Bourbon, mint, crushed ice, and a silver cup.
- Kentucky Mint Julep: Fresh mint, house-made mint syrup, and Maker?s Mark
- Blackberry Julep: Fresh mint, blackberries, and Jim Beam Bourbon
- Seven-Large Julep: Fresh muddled mint, Basil Hayden Bourbon, and served in a bath of champagne
Originally known as sweetened spirit, with bitters, stirred or shaken.
- Rye Manhattan: Jim Beam Rye stirred with Sweet Vermouth and bitters
- Sazerac: Rye1 served with a Pernod rinse and a touch of pyrotechnics
- Los Angeles Cocktail: Knob Creek Bourbon with a touch of Sweet Vermouth and fresh grated nutmeg
- Grand Apple Cocktail: Applejack, Maker?s and fresh grated cinnamon
These frothy drinks are made and shaken in a frenzy.
- Ramos Gin Fizz: Gin shaken hard with fresh lemon and lime juices, cream, pasteurized egg white, and orange-flower water, topped with soda
- Apple Blow Fizz: Applejack brandy shaken hard with fresh squeezed lemon juice, egg white and topped with soda
Fresh-squeezed lemon or lime juice is essential on these.
- Aviation: Gin, maraschino liqueur, and fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Hemingway Daiquiri: Cruzan White Rum, maraschino liqueur, shaken with fresh lime and grapefruit juices
- Tommy?s Margarita: Golden agave syrup shaken with fresh lime juice and El Tesoro Blanco Tequila
- Brock & Co.: Homemade ginger honey-syrup shaken with Knob Creek and Fresh lemon juice.
- The Irish Antidote: Irish Whiskey on the rocks with fresh lemon juice and Homemade Honey Syrup
- Elder Fitzgerald: Old Fitzgerald 12-year-old bourbon and St. Germaine Elderflower liqueur
CRUSTAS, DAISYS, & PUNCHES
Classics for those desiring sweetness with their spirits.
- Bourbon Crusta: Maker?s Mark shaken with Cointreau, maraschino liqueur, and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Served up in a glass crusted with sugar
- Dr. Blinker (Our Daisy): Jim Beam shaken with raspberry syrup and fresh grapefruit juice
- Big Mak: Fresh blackberries muddled and shaken with Maker?s Mark Bourbon
Hmm, can one ever go home again? I might have to, especially when an Elder Fitzgerald made by Damian Windsor is involved.
EVENT: MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 13 at 5pm
515 W 7th Street
Los Angeles, California 90014 (map)