This weekend I’m going to try and be a part of that nationwide No on 8 protest at L.A. City Hall and then somehow fit in another visit to Galco’s as well as do some or all of the following. Oh, and my friend Shelley is going to take me to authentic Korean BBQ in K-town, yum!
Friday, November 14
Splendid and Ella Moss Warehouse Sale
OMG I LOVE Ella Moss so yay to this huge warehouse sale. Everything is 50%-70% off original retail. We’re talking discounts on attire by Splendid, Ella Moss, Splendid Little’s, Splendid Mills, Splendid Girl and Ella Moss Girl for gals, guys, tweens and kids. Cash and credit cards only.
- Friday and Saturday 9am-4pm, Sunday 10am-3pm. Cooper Building, 860 S. Los Angeles St., 8th Floor, Downtown (map).
Rock & Republic Sample Sale
Apparently uber-hipsters pay full price for $200+ R&R denim. I know, cuz, ahem, I watch The Hills…sometimes. You don’t have to if you hit up this sample sale where men’s, women’s and even kids’ denim, tops, outwear and accessories are marked 50 to 80% off. Understandably, they’re so paranoid about people making away with the goods here that handbags are restricted from the sale. Cash and credit cards only.
- Friday and Saturday 9am-7pm, Sunday 9am-5pm. Sony Studios, Stage 9, 10202 W. Washington Boulevard (entrance is on Overland), Culver City (map).
Quantum of Solace 21+ Party at the ArcLight
You probably dragged your man to the Sex and City ArcLight party (which was awesome by the way), how cool would it be to take him to this James Bond party for the movie opening tomorrow? The $60 (per person) you pay covers the movie ticket, two drinks (Vesper martini, regular martini or Heineken) and savory & sweet heavy appetizers. What’s in it for you besides all that? Watching Daniel Craig on the big screen. He’s kinda cute.
- $60. 6pm at ArcLight Hollywood, 6360 W. Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood (map).
The Shady Bunch at the M Bar
Times are tough, you need a good laugh. Check out this night of hilarity while you dine at Hollywood’s M Bar. MTV/Comedy Central’s Hugh Moore is headlining followed by a slew of funny folk. Oh! and the bar was nice enough to include a Caroline on Crack drink special: $5 for a whiskey and ginger! Sweet!
- Doors open 7pm. $10 admission and $10 minimum food purchase. M Bar, 1253 North Vine Street, Hollywood (map). Call (323) 856-0036 for reservations.
Saturday, November 15
Always wanted to be a pin-up model or at least look like one? This fun workshop will not only teach you how to do your makeup like a bombshell but how to primp your hair retro, how to find vintage couture and even how to get started as a model if you’re so inclined. Plus you get a gift bag with tons of goodies.
- 11am-3pm. $75. Call Mitzi to reserve a spot, (626) 825-2442.
Sunday, November 16
I went to a swap meet the first time earlier this year and was surprised by how fun searching through piles of used clothes could be. So this one which is held in conjunction with the Felt Club’s fantabulous craft show is sure to be a treasure trove of unique gems. FreshPressed will be there so you can screenprint any new finds.
- 11am-5pm. $5 w/ bag of clothes, $10 without. Shrine Auditorium, 649 W Jefferson Boulevard, Los Angeles (map).
Single Malt Sundays at Whist
Fans of Scotch will want to reserve their spot at Whist’s Single Malt Sundays where for $20 ($30 with appetizers) they can partake of a flight of five select Scotches and end the evening with a sweet treat — the Single Malt Sundae — created by pastry chef Brooke Mosely. If you miss this Sunday’s, don’t worry as this event will go off every Sunday til the end of winter. What a great way to stay warm.
- 6pm. $20 ($30 with apps). Whist at the Viceroy, 1819 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica (map). Call (310) 260-7507 for reservations.