This weekend, all I wanna do is ride my Vespa all over the place! And this is where I wanna go.
Saturday, September 13
LA BBQ Fest
What a great way to end the summer…and try to hold onto it at the same time, bbq meat on Santa Monica Beach! Seems like everyone I know is going to this but at different times since it stretches to two days. Everyone likes meat. As for me, I can’t wait to see the Johnny Cash cover band — Saturday at 2:15pm.
- Saturday-Sunday 12-6pm. $10 general admission/VIP $50. Ocean and Colorado Avenues near Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica (map).
Ferget Alpine Village, celebrate beer and all things schnitzel at Verdugo Bar where they will feature German beer, brauts and music. And join in competitions like beer pong, stein holding and boot racing. Tickets are good for three beers but you can buy more along with food at the event.
- 1-6pm. $15 presale/$20 at the door. Verdugo Bar, 3408 Verdugo Road, Los Angeles (map). (323) 257-3408
Wally’s Fall Tent Sale
With the holidays just around the corner (eek!), it’s a good idea to stock up on your party booze at Wally’s Fall Tent Sale. Find stock marked up to 80% off. You’ve got lots to choose from: wines, champagne, glassware, cheese, baskets, olive oil, and spirits.
- Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm. 2107 Westwood Blvd., Los Angeles (map). (310) 475-0606.
Sunday, September 14
People Red Carpet Fun Run
I’m going to do this fun run with some friends even though I haven’t really been keeping up on my running since the marathon. Eh, it’s only 3 miles, right? Should be doable. Besides how can I resist a run that has a route through Paramount Studios and ends with a party, gift bags, chair massages and live music?
- 8am-12pm. $30 presale (til 9/12 11:59pm)/$40 at the event. Paramount Studios, 5555 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles (map).
7th Annual Taste of Santa Monica
If you’ve still got a hankering for food after the BBQ fest, check out this food fest on the Santa Monica Pier which features 40 of Santa Monica’s finest restaurants — Valentino, The Lobster, Whist and, um, Hooters. There will also be a wine garden ($15) featuring Firestone Winery, Wine Expo, to name a few.
- 12-4pm. $40 presale (til 9/12); $45 at the door. Santa Monica Pier, 100 Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica (map). (310) 458-8900.
Screening of Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds With Cocktail Hour
Oooh, enjoy the creepy-ness of this Hitchcock thriller in the underground lair of The Edison. The evening, hosted by Ben Lyons of E! Entertainment, will include stars from the original cast including Tippi Hedren and Rod Taylor. Oh Tippi! Cocktail hour before the screening features signature cocktails and appetizers. A portion of all proceeds benefits the Jules Verne Charity Educational Mission.
- 6pm. $20. The Edison, 108 W 2nd Street, Downtown (map). (213) 613-0000.