Yay! Memorial Day Weekend’s here, the holiday that kickstarts the summer! Of course it looks like so much is going on this weekend that you’ll feel like you need one more day to recover. Observe the following:
Cinespia’s Cemetery Screening of Vertigo
Hitchcock at the cemetery, now that’s what I’m talking about. Granted it’s not my most fave Hitchcock film (Rear Window is) but it’s still effectively suspenseful. And nothing says Memorial Day Weekend like a summer’s eve picnic in this field of memorials.
- Saturday, May 26 at 7pm. $10 donation. 6000 Santa Monica Boulevard, Hollywood. (323) 469-1181.
Every year, whether its Memorial Day Weekend or Labor Day Weekend, I like to check out this beachy-keen street fair. Not so much for the food booths, the arts & crafts for sale or even the people watching but to simply enjoy a sunny, festive day in Hermosa Beach. This Saturday I’ll finally get to use my brand-new Amsterdam to bike down from Playa del rey to the fiesta and take in the scenic beaches along the bike path.
- Friday, May 26 to Monday, May 28 from 10am-6pm. Hermosa Avenue and Pier Avenue, Hermosa Beach.
Found Footage Festival
Another reason you should have destroyed that videotape of you dancing to Salt n Pepa’s “Push It” with your high school dance troupe: the Found Footage Festival. All things not-so-sacred and forgotten on VHS are resurrected from thrift stores and garage sales for the amusement of audiences all over the world. This fun film fest, which Film Threat calls “true underground cinema,” comes to a Hollywood bar where you can appropriately enjoy the home movies like your uncles did during all those family gettogethers: drunk.
- Thursday, May 24 to Saturday, May 26 at 8pm. $15. M Bar, 1253 North Vine Street, Hollywood. (323) 856-0036.
The Love Festival
Party down at the Memorial Coliseum with Ladytron, DJ Reza and more. Three stages of live entertainment, full bars, vendor village and lots of dancing. Doors open at 7pm and close at 4am. Now THAT’s a party.
- Saturday, May 26. $45. LA Memorial Coliseum Expo Gardens, 3939 S Figueroa Street, Downtown (323) 960-5155
Star Wars Celebration IV
Can you believe it’s been 30 years since the first Star Wars? Egads! In celebration of this iconic film’s anniversary, behold the four-day party — probably the only place in L.A. you can sport Princess Leia’s cinnamon bun hairdo and not get a second look. The convention’s got action figures, Billy Dee and lightsaber-wielding fans.
- Thursday, May 24 to Monday, May 28. Starts at 9am. $125 for 4-day pass, $45 a day. LA Convention Center, 1201 S Figueroa Street, Downtown. (213) 741-1151.
Topanga Days Country Fair
I always mean to check out this hippy-dippy fair but usually give up after driving up and down Topanga Canyon Boulevard yields no parking space for me (and I don’t wanna shuttle it). But one day, maybe I’ll try harder and stop to check out the food, artisan wares and music. Also in Topanga, the Tough Topanga 10K on Saturday at 8am where you maneuver a rugged course that’ll kick your ass.
- Saturday, May 26 to Monday, May 28. 1440 N Topanga Canyon Boulevard, Topanga.